Broughty Ferry Castle, Dundee - Ref: WC1845
Broughty Ferry Castle was built in the late 15th century. It originally belonged to the Earls of Angus. It has had a long and turbulent history. Reduced to a ruin by 1787, it was eventually purchased by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway in 1846. Offered for sale again in 1854, it was bought for national defence.
Deemed an ancient Monument by the 1930s it was handed over to the Ministry of Works. However, it briefly revived its military past during the Second World War when it was taken over by the War Department until 1946.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.