Broughty Ferry Castle, Dundee - Ref: WC1860
Broughty Ferry Castle is situated by the River Tay. It has had a turbulent history. The present castle was built as a fortification at the end of the 15th century by the Earls of Angus. It was in ruins by 1787. The castle was purchased by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway in 1846.
It was on the market again in 1854 when it was acquired for national defense. It became an ancient monument by the 1930s in the care of the Ministry of Works. It was taken over by the War Department took between 1939 and 1946. It still stands today, a well known landmark in Broughty Ferry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.