"Britannia" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0786
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the "Britannia" outside Shed A of Dundee's Victoria Dock. Beyond her, the Customs House, the spire of St Paul's Cathedral and the cupola roof of the Sailors' Home can clearly be made out.
The "Britannia", a single screw iron steamer, was built by Gourlay of Dundee in 1877 for the Dundee, Perth and London Shipping Co. She did not have a very safe sea-going record, sinking "Good Intent", a fishing boat, in 1885 and "Darling Downs" in 1887.
She was sold to George Gibson and Co., of Leith in 1889, and sank after colliding with the Norwegian vessel, S. S. Flugt on a voyage from Leith to Dunkirk via the Tyne and Middlesborough.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.