"Bonnie Dundee" and "Conquest" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0784
"Bonnie Dundee", a wooden paddle steamer, was built in 1890 at Montrose for James Tares; "Conquest", also a wooden paddle steamer, was built in 1867 at North Shields, and bought from Alloa for William High in 1890 to serve as a trawler DE36.
She was sold to J. G. Beveridge in 1892 but, as she was no longer used for fishing, the number was cancelled. She was sold to J. S. Wilson of Bo'ness in 1899 and used as a tug until 1914, when she was broken up.
"Bonnie Dundee" made regular journeys to Bridge of Earn (at a price of sixpence, and allowing one and a half hours ashore) and Balmerino. "Bonnie Dundee" weighed seven tons, "Conquest" had a gross tonnage of 69 and was 81 feet long.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.