Blind Institution, Dundee - Ref: WC1123
The Dundee Institute for the Blind became the Royal Dundee Institute of the Blind in 1915 after the directors applied to the King for permission to use Royal in the title, in recognition of the long service of the institute, permission was granted.
After the amalgamation of the institution with Lord Roberts Workshop and subsequent move to Dunsinane the building was converted into sheltered housing accommodation for frail, elderly people.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.