Bicycle near City Churches - Ref: WC0996
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the south end of Lindsay Street, where it joins to Nethergate to the west of the City Churches.
The bicycle alluded to in the caption is a penny farthing (so called because of the similarity of the relative sizes of the wheels and of old money), which is standing directly in front of the Mercat Cross, which now stands slightly to the west.
Dr John Stewart was the dentist at No. 3 Lindsay Street, the cabinetmaker was Robert Wilson, then came School Wynd United Presbyterian Church, and the auction rooms belonging to James A. McLean.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.