"Benvenue" and "Queen of England" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0779
The "Queen of England" was a three-masted, full-rigged, iron-built sailing ship, built by T. Royden in Liverpool (1885) for the local company, D. Kennedy, and she visited Dundee at least once (arriving on 11th March 1889 with a cargo of jute).
The "Benvenue" was also a three-masted, full-rigged, iron-built vessel, built by Birrell, Stenhouse and Co., of Dumbarton for the Glasgow firm, Watson Bros. She visited Dundee at least twice, also with cargo holds full of jute.
The "Queen of England" measured 276 feet and weighed in at 2071 tons, while the "Benvenue" was 289.2 feet long and had a gross tonnage of 2033. Her passage from Calcutta took 108 days, while the "Queen of England" took only 107.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.