Belmont House, Perth Road, Dundee - Ref: WC1116
Belmont House belonged to the Bell family. The site, on the north side of Perth Road, is currently occupied by a Dundee University students' residence. The house appears on Ordnance Survey maps in its own grounds, with a croquet lawn to the east.
In 1895, the Dundee Directory lists John W. Bell, merchant, James Harriott Bell, merchant, and George Jarvis Bell. None of them is listed with a business address, the Piper O' Dundee tells us that they worked at Belmont Works to the north.
A former occupant of the house was Edwin Weston Bell, who was a director of the company, an expert on the Scottish Deerhound, which he bred at Forgandenny, and a President of the Dundee Physical Recreation Society. He died in 1894.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.