Belmont House, Perth Road, Dundee - Ref: WC1115
Belmont House is listed in the 1895 Dundee Directory as No. 15 Perth Road, and is shown on the Ordnance Survey maps of the period as a large mansion in its own grounds, with a croquet green to the east, and the Belmont Canvass Works to the north.
The inhabitants of the house are given as John W. Bell, merchant, James Harriott Bell, merchant, and George Jarvis Bell. The family business was based at No. 7 Ward Road. Belmont Works belonged to Thomas Bell, a different branch of the family.
Another family member, Edwin Weston, was President of the Dundee Physical Recreation Society, and one of the leading keepers of Scottish deerhounds, which he kept in kennels at Forgandenny, and about which he published a book. He died in 1894.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.