"Balgay" and "Antelope" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0775
The "Balgay" was built by Tay Ship Building Co., Dundee, in 1872 for Robertson Bros., Ship Brokers and Coal Merchants of Dock Street in Dundee. She had a gross tonnage of 228 and was 114 feet long.
The "Antelope" was a wooden smack, with a gross tonnage of 29, and 51.6 feet long. She was built at Newquay in 1868 and owned by T. Evans of Aberystwyth. No details of a visit to Dundee are available.
The "Balgay" was sold to J. K. Daniels of Whitstable in 1888 and then to a Norwegian company in 1894. She foundered off Seahouses (on the north-eastern coast of England) on 13th January 1895.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.