Baldovan Industrial School, Dundee (later to become the former Balgowan List D School) - Ref: WC1822
Baldovan Industrial School was opened in January 1855. Sir John and Lady Ogilvie of Baldovan were instrumental in establishing the Insitution for the care and treatment of, "imbecile and idiot children". Queen Victoria gave her patronage and donated £100 toward its construction.
Later the Institution was greatly extended to accommodate adults with special needs as well as children. The building is still in use today, though it is now known as Strathmartine Hospital.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.