"America" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0765
This 573-ton whaling ship was built in the Stephen shipyard at Dundee for the Sealing and Whale Fishing Company in 1865. Originally launched as the Esquimaux, she was sold to a company in Newfoundland and re-named "America".
In the 1870s, she was commanded by Captain Charles Yule, who became harbour-master at Dundee in 1883. He died on 26th September 1935, Dundee's only centenarian of the day.
She was lost off Nova Zembla on 21st November 1903. This photograph also shows two women on the quayside in typical costume of the day, and a wagon belonging to the North British Railway.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.