Horse-drawn carts on the esplanade, Dundee - Ref: WC1018
The esplanade in this Alexander Wilson photograph of Dundee is not what modern-day Dundonians would call the esplanade, which is an open piece of parkland at Magdalen Green.
This esplanade was at the south end of South Union Street, near the railway stations (Dundee (West) and Tay Bridge). The square shaped turret in the background is actually part of Dundee (West).
Wordie and Co., managed by H.F. Pollock, was the carting company responsible for the transportation of goods between stations belonging to different railway companies, and distributing it to customers.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.