The Active Schools Volunteer Awards took place at the Apex Hotel on Saturday 18 May, 2019. The ceremony honoured the volunteers who go above and beyond in providing school sport opportunities for local pupils.
Over 160 people attended the awards which were opened by an excellent display from St Paul’s R.C. Academy and St. John’s R.C. High School dance groups (Winners of the Dundee Secondary School Dance Competition).
The awards were presented by Active Schools Modern Apprentice Amy McKay and several of their Young Ambassadors. Jamie Gibb and Niamh Johnston represented Baldragon Academy alongside Nicola Dempsey and Hannah Leslie from Grove Academy, Thomas Egan from St Johns R.C High School and Owen Kane from Morgan Academy.
The audience was inspired by Stefan Hoggan’s (Para Swimmer and Para Triathlete) insightful speech and wowed by Robbie Lamond from St Paul’s RC Academy wonderful singing.
Active Schools were once again delighted to have organised and hosted this fantastic event. 2019 saw some incredible nominations across all 11 categories, providing the judging panel with a few difficult decisions.
Dundee Active Schools Manager, James Fenna said
“This year’s event was outstanding and Active Schools would like to thank all those involved in the event.”
“The work volunteers are doing in our schools is very important; it gives children and young people across Dundee the best start in life, creating a lifelong love of sport from an early age which will continue well into adulthood. We thank all of the 600 volunteers from across the city for all your hard work and dedication throughout the year”.
“In the last year, volunteers across the city have provided some 14,000 sports sessions and contributed to 219,000 pupil visits to sports clubs and we now have just under 51% of the school role taking part in school sport activity.”
“This ceremony is a way of thanking all of our volunteers who willingly give their time to enable others to play the sport they love.”
Active Schools would not be able to run this event without support of local businesses. This event was kindly Sponsored by; Dundee School Sports Association, Dundee & Angus College, Abertay University, Idverde, Destination Judo, The Courier, Leisure & Culture Dundee, Ryze Dundee, Functional Fitness Dundee and Foxlake Dundee.
- Parent Volunteer of the Year
- Sponsored by Ryze Dundee
- Winner:- Laura Duncan & Samantha Thomson (Barnhill Primary)
- Community Club of the Year
- Sponsored by: Functional Fitness Dundee
- Winner:- Grove Menzieshill Hockey Club
- Dundee & Angus College Student volunteer of the Year
- Sponsored by Dundee & Angus College
- Winner - Casey Malone
- Abertay University Student Volunteer of the Year
- Sponsored by Abertay University
- Winner:- Elliot Smith & Lewis White
- Primary School Staff Volunteer of the Year
- Sponsored by: Idverde
- Winner:- Elspeth Ballantine (Claypotts Castle Primary)
- Secondary School Staff Volunteer of the Year
- Sponsored by: Destination Judo
- Winner:- Gregor Leslie (Baldragon Academy)
- Physical Education Teacher Volunteer of the Year
- Sponsored by: The Courier
- Winner:– Mike McIlravey
- Primary School of the Year
- Sponsored by: Leisure & Culture Dundee
- Winner:- Claypotts Castle PS
- Secondary School of the Year
- Sponsored by: Dundee School Sport Association
- Winner:- Grove Academy
- Young Leader of the Year Sponsored by Foxlake Dundee
- Winner: - Ellie Petrie & Ashlyn Simpson (Braeview Academy)
- Young Ambassador of the Year
- Sponsored by Active Schools Dundee
- Winner - Niamh Johnston & Jamie Gibb (Baldragon Academy)