Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC0709
The area of Dundee known as Whitehall appears to relate to a royal residence in the medieval burgh. Its precise location has not been identified, but during demolition work in the 1880s, several old carved stones were found.
The narrowness and darkness of the closes in medieval Dundee are clear enough in this photograph. The gas lamp would provide scant lamp for people on the move in the evenings.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.