West Port, Dundee - Ref: WC0690
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows Dundee's West Port, with The Globe public house at its focal point. Hawkhill leads off to the left and Scouringburn to the right. Running northwards at the righthand side is Brown Street.
Johnston's Lane is the small street behind The Globe, which was owned by Thomas Aitken at the time this photograph was taken. Nos. 51-55 West Port (next door) were J McArtney the ironmonger, tinsmith, plumber, and gasfitter.
Across the street (still West Port) at No. 49 was the wine and spirits merchant, Archibald Campbell, No. 45 was the Forfarshire Dairy, run by a Mrs Hughes. The carts are gathered around a drinking well and trough for the watering of horses.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.