View from Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0988
The focal point of this photograph, taken by the Dundee jute factory manager Alexander Wilson, is the Royal Arch, which was erected at the north end of a pier between the city's Earl Grey and King William IV Docks in 1848.
To the left is the harbourmaster's observation tower, allowing him to oversee the flow of vessels around the harbour and the workings of the various lock doors, which controlled th water levels in the harbour area.
To the right, beyond the buildings in Dock Street, immediately to the north of the docks, is the spire of Sir George Gilbert Scott's St Paul's Cathedral, on Castle Hill, of 1853.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.