Unidentified ship in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0934
There are, in fact, two ships in this photograph of the Earl Grey Dock by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson. The there masted ship in the foreground and a steamer, berthed against the quayside behind.
The Royal Arch (which was built to commemorate an 1844 visit by Queen Victoria) stands between the fore and middle masts. It was built in 1848 and dynamited into the harbour in the early 1960s when the land was reclaimed for approach roads to the new Tay
The spire of St Paul's cathedral can been seen at the left, behind the imposing buildings of Dundee's Dock Street, as well as one of the city's jute mills' chimney. King William IV Dock can also be made out beyond the pier.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.