Tay Street and West Port, Dundee - Ref: WC0693
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows the junction of Dundee's West Port and the north section of Tay Street, which ran northwards to Lochee Road. At the extreme left, The Globe public house stands at the east end of Hawkhill.
The corner is David Mackie's The Great Northern public house. The advertising hoarding 'Try Mackie's special' suggests that the company also made beer, but no evidence has been found so far. E. Quinn the tobacconist was No. 3 North Tay Street.
Nos. 5-7 West Port were Robert's and Company, 'The great clothiers', No. 15 was H.P. Tyler's boot store. William Mather, confectioner and pastrybaker, had shops at No. 5 Crichton Street, No. 9 West Port (with lodgings) and No. 38 Watson Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.