Tay Rail Bridge, Dundee - Ref: WC1650
Photograph from Alexander Wilson Collection. View of bridge from Dundee side looking towards Fife.
On 22 July 1871 the son of resident engineer William Paterson tapped the foundation stone in place. The building took longer than the intended 3 years and the cost rose from £217,099.18s.6d to £350,000.00. Twenty workmen were killed during the construction work.
The bridge opened on 26 September 1877. The journey across the bridge took 15 minutes when it was opened for public travel eight months later, on 31 May 1878.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.