Submarine Miners in Camp, Dundee - Ref: WC1825
Dundee became a naval base in 1909. Agreement had been reached between the Admiralty and Dundee Harbour Trustees over the rights the base would be given. These rights included the use of the Western Harbour, storage facilities, and a dry dock with specially fitted cradles for submarines.
In return the Admiralty paid Dundee £4000 per annum. In this photograph the submarine miners camp at Broughty Ferry is shown. The submariners can be seen carrying out their drill.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.