Sinderins, Dundee - Ref: WC0606
This photograph shows the junction known locally as Sinderins, where Dundee's Perth Road and Hawkhill join at the foot of Blackness Avenue.
James Maclaren, 'a Soane medallist, and the best educated architect of Dundee's Victorian age' (David M. Walker: Dundee architects and architecture 1770-1914'), designed the uncompleted terrace Nos. 1-5 Blackness Avenue in 1868.
Maclaren's other work in Dundee included the famed Cox's Stack (mill chimney) which still features above a leisure park in Lochee), the Savings Bank in Euclid Street and the Congregational Church in Broughty Ferry. He died of a heart attack in June 1893.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.