Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0593
This photograph shows the middle of Dundee's Seagate looking west, with St Andrews Street leading to the right and north and Trades Lane leading towards the docks in the south.
St Andrews Buildings, on the corner, bears the date 1894. Mathewson and Son, tea merchants occupied the site in 1906. Alexander Mathewson lived at Terrace House, Constitution Road, while Allan Mathewson had a house in Broughty Ferry.
At No. 112 Seagate were James F. Croal, grocers. They also had branches in Crichton Street, Westport, Blackscroft and Tulloch Crescent. Mr Croal lived at Braeside on Lawside Road.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.