Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0591
This photograph shows the junction of Dundee's Commercial Street, running from north to south and left to right, with the Seagate to the diagonal left and High Street (from whence the image was captured).
The identifiable businesses match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1893-94, with No. 41 occupied by Alexander Heggie, clothier, the right-most apartment of the block known as Commercial Buildings. The ironmonger John H. Stewart was at No. 43a.
No. 45 was the tailor Frederick Ferguson, and John G. Sprunt, linen merchant, at No. 49 and David Mackay, chemist, at No. 49. No. 43 Commercial Street proper was occupied by the 'produce merchant' John Wanliss.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.