Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0585
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows Dundee's Seagate, looking westwards to the spire of St Paul's Cathedral, which stands in the city's High Street.
To the right (and north) is David Leighton, the wines and spirits merchant's shop, listed in the Dundee Directory as Nos. 78-80. Just beyond is the lane, Horse Wynd, which leads north to Murraygate.
The painters and decorators were David and George W. Smith, at No. 114 Seagate. The imposing building with towers and a large arched gateway is Robertson's Bond, built in 1897 by Johnston and Baxter, also the architects of Watson's Bond.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.