Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC1104
The Overgate was one of Dundee's commercial streets. This photograph was taken at the junction with Barrack Street, leading northwards to the left, and Tally Street, behind the photographer. Overgate leads to the High Street to the right.
The wine merchant on the corner was David Stewart (No. 59), with the grocer William Reid and No. 57 and the bootmaker, William Crawford, at No. 53. The latter is listed in the Dundee Directory of 1890-91 as living at No. 55 Overgate.
Mrs Bell had a lodging house at No. 51, while the Operative Mason Lodge Hall was listed at No. 43 (possibly the building with the fancy wrought-iron design to the left of the gas lamp). The group of men and boys possibly gathered out of curiosity.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.