Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0417
The south-eastern section of Dundee's Nethergate is shown in this photograph, which was taken from the south end of Tally Street. Whitehall Street is just visible to the east and left, and Couttie's Wynd at the righthand side.
William Millar's supply store is first listed at No. 38 Nethergate in the Dundee Directory for 1893-94, and appears for the last time in 1897-98. Two years later, the site is occupied by the British Linen Company Bank.
Moon, Langlands & Co. occupied the site at the north end of Whitehall Street until the company was taken over by Draffens. At the end of the 20th century, Debenhams abandoned the building in favour of brand new premises in the revamped Overgate Centre.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.