Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0446
This photograph shows the point where the north side of Dundee's Nethergate merges with High Street. At the apex, Thorter Row leads to the north and right, Church Lane to the left and west. In the distant west, the Queen's Hotel is clearly visible.
W. H. Melville, the draper in Melville House (which is listed under both High Street and Nethergate), lived at Dunvarlich Villa in Wormit. Campbell & Meldrum, (works at Fairmuir, town office in Church Lane), published the Dundee ABC timetable.
John Spark's photographic studios were at No. 1 Tally Street. Listed in the Dundee Directory as 'Artistic photographer', he lived at No. 8 Airlie Place. The Dundee Arms Restaurant at No. 31 High Street was managed by James Farley.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.