Meadowside, Dundee - Ref: WC0374
This photograph of Dundee's Meadowside reads from west to east, left to right, with the south end of Constitution Road at the lefthand side. The distant spire is St Paul's Cathedral on the High Street.
Thomas Cuthbert & Son, the coachbuilders, moved to the Meadowside building (with approximately a quarter of an acre, it was the largest such works in North-East Scotland) in 1880, when the company was run by George Cuthbert, who died in August 1934.
The Police & Water Commissioners had offices at No. 8. The treasurer in 1892 was James Smith, and the cashier Finlay Farquharson. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection includes several annual financial reports and sets of minutes for various meetings.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.