Market Cross, Dundee - Ref: WC0427
One of Alexander Wilson's favourite subjects were Dundee's City Churches, here seen in a photograph of the eastern section of the Nethergate, with carriages waiting on the north side. The same site is currently a taxi rank.
The Mercat Cross ('Unicorn') is at the left hand side. The piece, an original shaft of 1586 (designed by John Mylne) topped by a replica of a design by John Sutherland RSA) was restored to this location as part of the 1999-2000 Overgate re-development.
Alfred Souter at No. 70 (at the righthand side) was a watchmaker and jeweller. The next clearly identifiable business is George Sime, a surgeon dentist, at No. 64, the the Royal Hotel at No. 54. Beyond the junction with Union Street is Albion House.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.