Electric tram at Albert Institute, Dundee - Ref: WC1050
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson collection shows a tram in Albert Square, with the Albert Institute on the left and Commercial Street running southwards (diagonally at the right).
The tram in the picture is from Dundee's second-phase of development: it is drawn by a steam engine rather by horses. The system was electrified in 1900, but four of the steam locomotives were kept and used as snowploughs.
Robert Scott, the carver and gilder, whose galleries were at No. 19 Meadowside, lived at Beachgrove in West Ferry. His advertisement in the 1898-99 Dundee Directory highlights the 'largest selection of etchings, paintings and engravings'.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.