Dundee Harbour piers - Ref: WC0985
This photograph from Alexander Wilson's private collection shows the Earl Grey Dock in Dundee Harbour. The dock was opened in 1834 and named for Charles, the 2nd Earl Grey, who was elected Prime Minister in 1830.
To the left is a small pier within the dock with No. 3 Shed, which was used for storage. To the left of centre is the spire of St Paul's cathedral, which stands on Castle Hill, at the junction of Commercial Street, Seagate and High Street.
At the centre is the Royal Arch, which was erected in 1848 to celebrate Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's visit in 1844. The steamship, which is berthed alongside No. 3 Shed, has not been identified.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.