Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0967
This photograph by Alexander Wilson, the manager of a Dundee jute calender (finishing factory), shows The Victoria Dock, part of the city harbour, with the elegant spire of St Paul's Cathedral rising to the left hand side.
The large building in front of the spire is the Customs House, built in 1842-43 to plans by James Leslie and John Taylor. It is three storeys high, has 13 sets of bay windows and its front is dominated by four very large Ionic columns.
The ships in the dock (which was built to a design by Thomas Telford and completed in 1875) have not been identifiable, though the one at the right (the east end) shows all the signs of being a recently arrived jute ship.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.