Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0973
This photograph shows King William IV Dock at Dundee Harbour, with No. 5 storage shed to the right hand side (in the south). Just above the left of the shed is the Customs House, built in 1842-43.
The "Mayfield" was an iron single screw steamship with a gross tonnage of 2632 and measuring 300 feet in length. She was built in 1877 by Gourlay Bros., of Dundee, for W. N. Machan, also of Dundee.
According to newspaper reports of the day, by the time this picture was taken the "Mayfield" had been in Dundee since 20th January 1904, having arrived from Burntisland. The ship's port of survey is listed in Lloyd's as North or South Shields.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.