Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0975
This photograph comes from the collection established by the Dundee jute calender manager, Alexander Wilson. It shows two unidentified sailing vessels in the city's Earl Grey Dock.
The ornamental structure in the centre is the Royal Arch, which was erected in 1848 to celebrate a visit made in 1844 by Queen Victoria. It stood at the north end of a pier between that dock and the King William IV Dock.
It was demolished in 1963 as part of the land-reclamation project associated with the building of the Tay Road Bridge, the arch standing in the way of the planned approach roads.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.