Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0136
This photograph shows the western end of Dundee's Dock Street, with part of Yeaman Shore to the left and leading eastwards (and right) towards the Greenmarket.
Between A. Spence & Co.'s potato store and the salt store at No. 11 is the rear of Gilfillan Memorial Church, erected in 1879 in memory of the Dundee preacher, George Gilfillan, who died that year.
The building occupied by W. E. Dryden was there business office, the retail outlets being at 35 Union Street and 37 Victoria Road. Dock Street was one of Dundee's busiest commodities area, with Greenmarket to the east and the Fishmarket to the north east.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.