Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0131
This photograph reads west to east from left to right and shows Dundee's Dock Street with the Caledonian Railway Station at the extreme left.
The principal buildings in the foreground housed various salt stores. As well as the curing agent, William Brown's placards advertise whiting and chalk. To the east is the gateway to St Clement's Mission, on which no information has been found.
Nextdoor (at No. 15 Dock Street) is the wines and spirits business of Mrs D. Powrie, who lived at No. 21. Around the corner is James Cowan's 'Public Weigh House', another saltstore, a company established in 1825 and also supplying cement and pipeclay.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.