"Conquest" and "Lass O' Gowrie" - Ref: WC0949
The "Conquest" was a wooden paddle steamer, built in 1867 at North Shields. She had a gross tonnage of 69 and was 81 feet long. She was first registered in Dundee in 1890 as a sloop-rigged steam trawler. Her fishing number DE 36 was cancelled in 1893.
The "Lass O' Gowrie" was an iron paddle steamer built at South Shields in 1883 by J. T. Eltringham for David Edwards of Dundee. She had a gross tonnage of 128 and was 106 feet in length. She was sold in 1889 when she was sold to owners in Weymouth.
In this Alexander Wilson photograph, the ships are berthed in the tidal basin to the south of the King William IV Dock in Dundee Harbour. The buildings in the left background are the Greenmarket and Dock Street. The Customs House can also be seen.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.