Claypotts Castle, Dundee - Ref: WC1145
This view of Claypotts Castle is taken from the east, the farm buildings having been demolished and replaced by residential villas. The land belonged to the Abbey of Lindores, who also had claim to the lands of St Mary's, one of Dundee's City Churches.
The castle was built by the Strachan family in the second half of the 16th century as protection against Henry Lovell of Ballumbie, a local noble who had turned tyrant. Using a Z design, circular towers defended the central square house.
The castle was bought by Sir William Graham of Ballunie (a neighbouring estate) when the Strachan line expired, and then came into the possession of the Grahams of Claverhouse. After Killiecrankie, the castle was granted to the Marquis of Douglas.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.