City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1400
The first mention of the Tower in Burgh records was in 1540 when it was decided to replace the clock in the Steeple. The work as finished on Palm Sunday 1543.
Before the Reformation the Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep and Secret stronghold. In the mid 17th century it was turned into a fort after a fire in the nave isolated the Tower. It was also used as a common gaol.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.