City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1419
Entrance to Old Steeple. Figure in foreground is possibly T.Waddell the caretaker. The Tower was restored in 1872 by Sir George Gilbert Scott and cost £8,750.00. This sum was met by subscription from Dundee inhabitants and from the Common Good Fund.
Before the Reformation the Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep & secret stronghold. Mid 17th century the Tower was turned into a fort after a fire in the nave isolated the Tower. It was also used as a common gaol.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.