Cab stance at City Churches - Ref: WC1004
Alexander Wilson took this photograph from the north end of Couttie's Wynd, with Tally Street running to the north towards the Overgate at the right, and Nethergate running west to east from left to right.
From the right, the churches are the East Church, the South Church, and the Steeple Church. The Old Steeple (steeped in Dundee's history) stands at the west end.
The cabs standing on Nethergate (where today there is a taxi rank) were governed by Police regulation. There was a strike in 1873, when it was dictated that each had to bear a number for ease of identification. The story made national news.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.