Cab stance at City Churches - Ref: WC1013
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson collection shows Lindsay Street running away to the north in the distance and Nethergate gate leading eastwards to the High Street at the right.
The carriages are at one of the city centre's cab stances (what we'd call a taxi rank nowadays), which started opposite the north end of Union Street, which led to Tay Bridge and Dundee West railway stations.
The small shed structure at the foot of the Old Steeple was a shelter for the drivers, built in 1875 by G.D. Whyte at a cost of £115 (including furniture). The opening (which attracted wide popular attention) was performed by Provost Cox.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.