Cab stance at City Churches - Ref: WC0999
This Alexander Wilson photograph shows a variety of carriages 'parked' in the Nethergate, Dundee, to the south of the City Churches. In fact, it shows the equivalent of the taxi rank which survives at that location today.
The Old Steeple is joined to (but not really an integral part of) the Steeple Church, the 'gable end' belongs to South Church, then comes the East Church. The railings were removed years ago.
It's difficult to believe that passengers could have been very comfortable, judging by the rigid construction of the wheels and the fact that most of Dundee's streets were heavily cobbled.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.