Burns Statue, Albert Square, Dundee - Ref: WC2125
Sculptor, Sir John Steell, made the original of this statue of Burns for New York at a cost of 2000 guineas. Dundee paid 1000 guineas for a replica. It was unveiled on 16th October 1880 by Mr Frank Henderson MP in front of about 20,000 people.
Robert Burns visited Dundee briefly in the Autumn of 1787.The statue is situated in Albert Square in front of the McManus Galleries. The street visible to the left of the photograph is Reform Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.