"Britannia" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0785
Built in 1877 by Gourlays, Dundee, for the Dundee, Perth and London Shipping Co., the "Britannia" could carry up to 360 passengers. An iron-built, single screw steamer, she had a gross tonnage of 951 and was 254.8 feet long.
She was involved in several collisions: In March 1885, she sank the Broughty Ferry fishing boat "Good Intent"; in March 1887, she sank the sailing ship "Darling Downs" (1716 tons) off Newcastle.
She was sold to George Gibson and Co. of Leith, and lost off the Yorkshire coast in 1904, when she collided with the S. S. Flugt (a Norwegian vessel). This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the D. P. & L. berth at Dundee's Victoria Docks.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.