"Bonnie Dundee" and "Conquest" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0783
The "Conquest" was built in 1867 at North Shields for D. Sneddon of Alloa. She was registered at Dundee in 1890, when she was bought by W. High, a fish salesman based at the Fishmarket, and the sloop-rigged steam trawler given the number DE36.
In 1892, J. G. Beveridge, a Dundee shipowner, bought the vessel, but the number was cancelled late in 1893 as she was no longer used for fishing. J. S. Wilson of Bo'ness bought the "Conquest" in 1899 for use as a tug. She was finally broken up in 1914.
The "Bonnie Dundee", like "Conquest", was a wooden-built paddle steamer. She was built at Montrose in 1890 for James Tares, and she was used as a pleasure steamer on the Tay, travelling daily in the summer months to Perth and Bridge of Earn.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.