Blind Institution, Dundee - Ref: WC1121
The Dundee Institution for the Blind was founded in 1865 to provide training and work. It was felt at the time that education would widen their outlook and give them an interest in life.
It was also felt that the training in handicrafts would enable the blind people to be self-supporting to some extent. The building in Magdalen Yard Road was opened in 1883.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.