"Benvenue" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0777
The "Benvenue" was a three-masted, full-rigged iron-built ship, by Birrell, Stenhouse and Co., of Dumbarton, completed in 1884 and owned by Watson Bros., of Glasgow. She had a gross tonnage of 2033 and was 289.2 feet long.
Alexander Wilson took this photograph from the south side of Dundee's Victoria Dock around the time of the ship's arrival from Chittagong (in modern day Bangladesh), where she had picked up a cargo of 2032 tons of jute for processing in the Dundee mills.
The date of the photograph is slightly dubious, since the Dundee Yearbook records her arrival on 24th March 1889. Her only other recorded visit was 6th March 1893, when 2033 tons of Calcutta jute arrived after a passage of 108 days.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.