"Assaye" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0772
The "Assaye" was a three-masted iron barque, built in 1868 by R. Steele and Co., of Greenock for J. & W. Stewart, also of Greenock. She had a gross tonnage of 1351 and was 227 feet long.
She is pictured in the East Graving Dock at Dundee, part of the Victoria Dock complex, along with a second unidentified vessel. The Victoria Dock was designed by Thomas Telford.
The graving dock is where repairs were done to vessels after long voyages or accidents. Of particular interest in this Alexander Wilson photograph is the five-ton crane on the dock side, and the gas street lamps.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.